Tuesday 18 November 2008

Retro Cookbooks

Poking about in the castle's cafe (formerly Victorian Kitchen) the other day I found a stash of 1950s/60s paperback penguin cookbooks. I took some home to experiment with.......and am converted to the joy and simplicity of Elizabeth David. From Italian Cooking I made pasta shells with marscapone and walnuts (fantastic and easy) and peaches topped with macaroons. I used tinned peaches but it was still nice. Although I thought you'd get more peaches in a tin than that. The French Provincial Cooking looks good but all French cooking seems to involve wine and I can't get that from the supermarket on Sunday mornings due to licencing. I may have to find some of the other books too such as the immortal Cooking in a Bedsitter.........

1 comment:

Sarah M said...

It's back in print, you know: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Bedsitter-Katharine-Whitehorn/dp/1844085686/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227038299&sr=8-1