Saturday 12 May 2012

Time to Look Around

Apologies for lay-out, Blogger has been redone and I can't get the hang of it. This is the Holburn Junction Tram Shelter (now office) and is the first of my new blog project finds. The project: to find and draw clock towers around Aberdeen, especially working ones. I love a clock tower and the links they provide to days before the wrist watch, as well as being an exciting architectural punctuation to the skyline.

The Holburn Tram Shelter has an art-deco style mini tower and I love to think of people looking up at the tower and then peering along the road for their tram approaching. The building is sadly, easily overlooked, as it is unloved and right by a huge busy roundabout at Garthdee. But check it out if you are around there.

So look up today and find those clock towers where you live! Any pointers to Aberdeen clock towers would be gratefully received...is there one near where you live?

8 comments:

Sarah M said...

Oh, I love that building but I had no idea what it was - it looks so odd, sat beside the roundabout.

I think you know the clock towers near me - Town House, the one down the harbour...

And I can totally help with blog layouts, if you want. :)

Lolakola said...

I knew where this was as soon as I saw your pic :)

This building also used to be a toy hospital' the old man fixed by dolly's back to front leg for me. It was then turned into something boring, I can't quite remember what it was before that.

I've always wanted to find time to make a history of some of the quirky shops in Aberdeen :) I even remember there being a grocers on holburn street across from papagalios. (showing my age) :)

Elinor Vickers said...

@Sarah, I would love some bloggy magic worked...if you felt amenable.

Elinor Vickers said...

A Toy Hospital!!!

Sarah M said...

Of course :)

Sarah M said...

I was thinking the other day that I would like to take photos of certain shops and buildings now and then, in maybe five or ten years, take them all again. I wonder if I would still think that was fascinating in five or ten years?

Lizzie said...

Don't know if this one counts, but the Old Town House at the top end of High St, Old Aberdeen has a clock in the tower....
Used to accommodate a sort of sub police station at the side too. In the sixties.
Good blog btw.

Elinor Vickers said...

Thank you Lizzie!