Wednesday 20 February 2013

February's Books

February's book choices are:

Persuasion by Jane Austen. I thought Jane Austen was boring, but you have to read them when you're an adult. This is funny, touching, real. The heroine is regarded as 'left on the shelf' at 27, still in love with her ex and endlessly patronised by her vile, overbearing family. It's great.

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. OK, I know everyone's read this. I was put off by the title and rave Richard and Judy recommendation. It's not cosy, it's weird, disturbing, hugely emotional. Brilliant. The hero involuntarily time travels back and forward in his own life. Great characters. I cried at the end.

An honorary mention for The Yacoubain Building by Ala-al-Aswaany. A fascinating and moving story of the many people who live in an old apartment building in Cairo. Culturally an eye-opener.

5 comments:

Sarah Rooftops said...

It was a revelation for me when I realised Richard and Judy pick good books.

Leen said...

Yes I do like Jane Austen..quite understated, but I dont know Persuasion. Will try.
Yes have read TTWife and enjoyed.

Alison said...

Recommend my fave Austen Mansfield Park for you to read at some point. Time Traveler's Wife made me cry too!

Alison said...

Recommend my fave Austen Mansfield Park for you to read at some point. Time Traveler's Wife made me cry too!

Anna Veyra said...

Have you read Her Fearful Symmetry yet? If not, really worth it! Victorian graveyards and unusual ghosts..