Sunday 17 February 2013

Virtuous Cake

I love cake. Alistair loves cake. And we are both on a healthy eating bender.

So rather than continue forgoing cake, in a soul destroying manner, I got out the cookbooks and looked for healthy cake. Free from butter, cream cheese, cream, chocolate and other fats.

Here is what I have experimented with so far:

From 'Mary Berry's Baking Bible': Walnut Teabread and Bara Brith. Both delicious, the teabread has lots of syrup in and the bara brith has fruit soaked in tea. Both are moist and tasty. Do not serve spread with butter, as suggested. Both of these are dairy free.

This week's is Pain d'Epice or spice bread from 'Bread' by Eric Treuille and Ursula Ferrigno. This is a French teabread without yeast, but made with milk and honey. So not dairy free. I'll be baking this on Monday, my designated baking day (while Alistair does his online wargaming). Hoping it is as good as the first two. Any healthy cake suggestions gratefully received.

1 comment:

Leen said...

I do similar with loaves and am always looking for new tastes. What fruit goes in tea and what tea is OK??