Saturday 25 May 2013

Book of May

It's Book of the Month time again! I haven't been reading so much this month as I have been super busy with work and stuff. But I did find a book I really liked (and it's short).

May's book is 'A Month in the Country' by JL Carr. Not to be confused with the Russian play. A film was made of the book, with Colin Firth, but I haven't seen it.

The book is a gently paced story of a man who after fighting in WW1 comes to a small village to restore a medieval church mural. He meets an archaeologist who is searching for a lost grave and falls in love with a married woman. It's beautifully written, sometimes moving, sometimes funny, thoughtful and evocative.

Honorary mention (because I'm trying not to repeat authors) is Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall, a black comedy about an obscure Welsh Boarding School. Evilly hilarious.

1 comment:

Leen said...

I enjoyed this Lal. Very sensitiveand simply structured. Great.