Saturday 18 May 2013

Highland Fling...

I admit it. I am a huge fan of that not-much-liked art form ballet. In fact I have been ever since I was a kid. I turned out to be podgy and uncoordinated but my love of dance continued.

Last night I went to the theatre to see Highland Fling with my friends Lola and Anna. Going to the theatre is always a great treat, as it is wonderfully ornate and gold encrusted inside, with brass rails and red velvet upholstery. There are also attendants with trays of ice-cream, wonderfully traditional. The whole thing is like stepping back in time.

Except for the ballet. Highland Fling has been described as Trainspotting the Ballet. It's brilliant, it's also adult, dark, sinister and weird. The story is a modern day take on La Sylphide, set in Glasgow. A man meets a strange, zombie-like fairy (pictured) at his stag do and, torn between his attraction for her and his new wife, things start to get very messed up. Not for the easily offended, the story features drink, drugs, sex and nudity. It's not your typical tutus and pointe shoes ballet, the dance is athletic, wild and barefoot.

If it comes to your city, go and see it. It will blow you away.

No comments: