Friday 31 January 2014

Retro Camera

The other day I was feeling very peeved with my camera. It's a cheapo automatic which is easy to use and takes ok pictures except on zoom and in dim light (and at the moment everything is dim light because it is Always Raining.)

I pondered buying a super digi camera but then the urge came to me that I really wanted an old film camera, with dials and tech you can understand and work yourself.

So when I went down to see my Dad for Chinese New Year he lent me this wonder camera. It is a 1960s Leica, made of real metal and glass and leather and weighs a ton and is just about the most exciting piece of technology I've seen.

I bought a light meter and some black and white film and I'm reading up on f-stops and apertures and film speeds. I might even produce some photos sometime, if things go well.

2 comments:

Sarah Rooftops said...

The film/digital thing is (in my opinion) all about the sort of adventure you like to have with photography rather than the tech. Film and digital cameras have the same dials and the same challenges with low light and long distances, but the experience of shooting with each of them is different. Digital works for me because my take on photography is to go outside and find as many things to photograph as possible. I think film will work for you because you'll enjoy handling the film canisters, having to use or improve your knowledge if you want to get good shots, picking up prints and being surprised by which shots did and did not work. Our photo walks are going to be fun!

Tim said...

I used that camera for a while! Such a solid piece of machinery. I'm sure it will outlast us all.