Saturday 6 December 2014

Resolutions/projects 2015


I do like to make a list of resolutions/projects at the end of each year. Just so my time does not pass in a blur and I have nothing to show for it. I try to make them fun and achievable though...

The picture of Dunnideer is to illustrate a new project I think of as 'the ancient world.' I plan to see and read up on prehistoric monuments (following my stone circle trip) and to discover more about the Greeks and Romans (following impulse buy of a fascinating book by historian Mary Beard) she points out that a knowledge of the classical world was vital for any civilised person until recently. And my knowledge is almost zero, so I'll work on that. I am currently enjoying The Modern Antiquarian by Julian Cope, about prehistoric monuments, faith and belief. It is delightfully esoteric and eccentric and I believe he is an ex rock star(he certainly looks like one).

I am also reading women's travel writing. Interestingly, most travel writing is by men. Do women have less opportunity to travel? Is it because of families? Are they less adventurous (surely not!) I want to discover intrepid women, daring journeys and fascinating cultures.

 Also, to progress my experiments in, variously, French and middle eastern cookery, finding the holy grail exercise class and massage treatment, dressmaking and creating art for this blog....


2 comments:

Leen said...

WOW! Lal you are so organised and ambitious I sag before you.

Elinor Vickers said...

And on TV also...enjoying Mekong with Sue Perkins.