Tuesday 23 December 2014

Seen from the Road


I often think how lucky I am. The fantastic scenery and gorgeous buildings I see just driving about each day are unbelievable. Aberdeenshire is just stunning.

This is the Tower Lodges at Dunecht House, by Lake of Skene, on my way to work. The lodges were built in 1922 by Marshall Mackenzie and are modelled after traditional scottish tower houses. They must be a lovely place to live, looking out over miles of woodland and a huge, silvery lake.

Dunecht House itself is nestled away in the woods, an enormous fairytale victorian mansion with a three storey 120ft library, colossal chapel and staircase painted with mythological scenes. I was very lucky to visit as it is very private. The history includes a reclusive book collector, an infamous bodysnatching case and a ruthless oil baron. One of my favourite places.

Picture in conte crayon, fixed with elnett hairspray, tweaked on ipad.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Ooh! Love this one.