Wednesday 18 March 2015

Travel Reading

I am currently reading and enjoying Travels without my Aunt by Julia Llewellyn Smith. 

The author revisits locations of Graham Greene stories. Some are horrific (Sierra Leone) some interesting ( Cuba) some less exotic (Brighton). She stays in the hotels he stayed in and visits locations from the novels. This all sounds pretty cosy except that Greene was very drawn to the seedy, dysfunctional and marginal places of the world, there siting his seedy, marginal and dysfunctional characters...So there are some very scary trips to places like Haiti. Even in the most awful places though, like Greene, she finds interesting people and unexpected moments of beauty. I was interested in the idea of visiting places from books and how it deepens your understanding of books and author.

 I have read Travels with my Aunt which I really loved, but feel I should read some more...maybe Our Man in Havana.... 

No comments: