Saturday 18 April 2015

Clock at Cliveden


For my clocktower series. No, I've never been to Cliveden House, but I wanted to do an obsessive drawing as I am bored on the sofa with my dodgy foot. This is from the essential Victorian Country House by Mark Girouard, my favourite architecture book. 
This work of sheer deranged genius is by Henry Clutton, an unfamous architect. A colleague of the more famous Victorian architect William Burges, he converted to Catholicism and mainly designed churches, before retiring due to blindness. But this is a mindboggling building, dwarfing the rest of the house...look at that spiral staircase....this is what I love about Victorian architecture, where they throw the rulebook away and go big, bodging styles together, just getting crazy.
From an art point of view this isn't a big colourful one, it's about the drawing, but I am trying to improve my skies. I'm also using my grandad George's watercolour set, which is lovely to work with.

1 comment:

SteffR said...

That is some impressive architectural dwarfing indeed!Great job with the detailing, hope your foot improves soon. xo