Tuesday 21 April 2015

Indian Interlude

So, I am still sitting on the sofa with my foot up, getting better, but missing all the lovely weather and not being able to do much. You'd think all this enforced rest would be great, but actually it is quite frustrating.

Staying sane, for me, involves a set of ongoing small projects. 

Every day, I watch one of the excellent Yale University online lecture videos on Roman Architecture (still loving my Romans project).
Women Travel books features Around India in Eighty Trains by Monesha Rajesh. I am particularly enjoying this, as I am fascinated by India and still feel the romance of trains. This reached a strange conjunction with my enthusiasm for Wes Anderson films as I watched Darjeeling Limited, about three brothers travelling through India on a train.
Thoughts on travel: choice of travel companion is the most important thing, witness one author being in India with a militant atheist (awkward) and another being stuck on a yacht in South Asia with a guy who wanted to go out with her but who she wasn't interested in (even more awkward). I think it is the same with any holiday, some people would just drive you insane. I'm not sure I am a very easy travel companion, I am neurotically organised and a huge culture vulture with a very low boredom threshold. In Darjeeling Limited one brother has a P.A. who puts a laminated itenary under his door every morning. I thought that was ideal.


1 comment:

SteffR said...

I keep meaning to watch Darjeeling Limited...it's true what you say about travelling companions. I'm mostly organized but also seem to to run out of time to do half the things I'd planned on. :-0 Hope your resting period pays off and the foot heals soon. xo