Sunday 2 August 2015

Weekend of Bread

This weekend I made the leap into sourdough bread. Sourdough is made with a starter of a flour and water mix which you leave to ferment and creates natural yeast. I keep mine in the fridge to minimise feeding. (It needs to be halved and topped up or fed about once a week). Sourdough takes a long time with two rises of several hours, or overnights in the fridge. 
I made half the dough into English muffins, which you fry in a pan and half into a flatbread topped with zaatar (Lebanese thyme herb mix). Both were lovely, I will be doing proper sourdough bread soon and experimenting with more breakfast foods...crumpets are my favourite.
I also made a sweet loaf with dried fruit which I make every week as a healthy cake alternative. Great with a mug of tea.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Yay for sourdough! I never thought of keeping the starter in the fridge. I always just freeze mine till about a week before I want to use it, then feed it daily (which gets tedious). Will have to try your method.

Elinor Vickers said...

Leave it in fridge, feed once a week and then before using, seems to work x