Thursday 14 January 2016

Body Positivity

I suppose this falls under the new year resolutions category.
This year I will be being more 'body positive'. This is a movement which aims to encourage acceptance of all body shapes and sizes. I think it is a great thing in today's climate of retouched models, 'thigh gap', pseudo science about superfoods and endless coverage of celebrity weight gain and loss. 
Last year, due to my foot injury I put on quite a lot of weight and a full dress size and a bit. This left me me feeling really negative about how I looked and about what I wore and even how I felt in my body. It would have been easy to start this year with a crash diet. However, this is not something I will be doing again. Here are some thoughts based on my experiences this last year and over many years. Like many people, I suspect, I have been uncomfortable with aspects of my body and weight since my teens. 

We can all lose weight with a two week crash diet, but it is better to eat a varied, tasty and healthy diet and to treat yourself sometimes. Don't get obsessed by calorie counts, although the coloured food health stickers are useful when shopping.
Exercise is good. It may not make you lose weight, but it will make you fit and strong, which is more important. I like pilates and walking. Urban walking, not cross country hikes.
Wear clothes you love. Give all your clothes that don't fit to a charity shop. Having things that don't fit you that you keep trying on is really depressing and futile.
Don't criticise your body to yourself or others. Love your body.
Don't weigh yourself or keep measuring yourself ( unless it is because you make your own clothes, which I do.) ignore the numbers. Don't worry about clothing sizes, which vary hugely. Making clothes is interesting because you can spot your poor body image if you keep cutting things out which are then hugely too big! 
Stop reading articles about 'your bikini body' and all that self hating stuff. Treat yourself with a massage or a pedicure or a long bath so you feel good.
I have also been saddened by hearing friends, all of whom I have always seen as attractive, charismatic people, talking about their problems with body image and how they look. Rest assured, other people always think that you are more attractive than you do and probably envy you too!

And here endeth the lecture. This is a bit personal for me and my blog but I really wanted to talk about this.





4 comments:

SteffR said...

Thank you for sharing Elinor. I struggle with it too, have gone from one extreme of youthful starvation binge cycles, largely came to accept and be happy with an "imperfect" body, gained 2 stone with chemo which I've struggled with ever since, much of that struggle internal. It is hard for me to accept myself above a certain size, but I am trying. And I am also trying not to diet despite this, to just be as healthy as I can be and have a treat once in awhile. Hopefully we can both get back into the Pilates feel good mode, and let me know if you want to walk around charity shops anytime, it's good exercise! :-) xx

Elinor Vickers said...

Definitely Steff, lets meet up soon!

Leen said...

Good for you Lal, I think a positive attitude is the key to a lot. I have similar problems with ageing and my hair loss. I honestly don't recognise myself in the mirror..and then I think 'What the fuck!' Its the person inside the wrapping that matters.

Elinor Vickers said...

Very true Leen. Ageing is tough. I felt really weird when I first had to get specs but I actually like them now. Everyone I know who has met you says you look young and I think it is your energy that makes you draws people to you.