Monday 4 January 2016

Personal Perfume


As I pottered about the bedroom this morning, I found myself thinking about perfume. I currently have three on my dressing table (many of which I have had for years); Chanel 5, Samsara and Loulou. 
Being me, I then had a leaf through my perfumes book Perfumes The Guide by Luca Turin to think about other perfumes I liked and why.
Scent is such a personal thing and reflects how you want to be seen or how you think of yourself. I seem to be attacted to the big floral/oriental type perfumes of the 80s. Pictured above, Tendre Poison which I loved in the early 90s. The bottle is wonderfully Disney Evil Queen. I also liked Tuscany per Donna and always have a bottle of Chanel 5 because it is the first posh perfume I ever had, which my granny Jo bought me. 
For me, perfume is all about my love of big old department stores full of arcane bottles and potions and glossy ads in old copies of vogue. I secretly long to be super glamourous, confident and harkening back to those High maintenance ladies of the 80s and 50s.
What perfumes do you love and why, readers?

2 comments:

SteffR said...

I have a sentimental fondness for Chanel No. 5 too, weirdly a friend bought me a bottle when we were teenagers. I think it's beautiful but only wear it on rare occasions/when I'm feeling particularly ladylike! I also have Perfumes: The Guide, I wish they would write another! Sadly most of my favourite scents get discontinued: Gucci Eau de Parfum, Clinique Simply,SJP Covet (another weird fougere, kind of Chanel-like but cheaper!). I'm mostly into florientals/musks I guess so I'm sure we have some scent overlaps! I like Hypnotic Poison, even though it smells of root beer! Scent is so personal, so fluctuating. Lovely watercolours you have done of the perfumes btw on Pinterest!

Leen said...

I have summer ones...Green Tea and rose scents, light and fresh ...then musky winter Opium and my very favourite is Cinnabar(odd name for a mercury ore?) plus a nice inbetweener, Ysatis.
I just love these and they fit with the seasons.