Saturday 13 February 2016

Hobby Update

So, what have I been doing lately?

My Read America Project progresses with Manhattan 45 by Jan Morris. This is about New York after WW2 when it was the preeminent city of the world. It's a fun read full of great anecdotes and characters and really brings the city alive. It also the era of my current favourite TV show, Agent Carter, where a female secret agent is always attempting to save the world from weird threats and baddies.
Also enjoyed Captain America War and Remembrance, again in a Marvel Superhero vein.

Romans are progressing in a lighter way with the excellent Falco novels by Lindsey Davis; the adventures of an Ancient Roman private eye. A great read and lots of fascinating historical nuggets.

Cookingwise, I am interested in Eastern European cookery and have augmented my book on recipes from the Ukraine; Mamushka by the brilliantly named Olia Hercules, with one on Poland; From a Polish Country Kitchen by Anne Applebaum and Danielle Crittenden. It's not all cabbage and potato. Tasty, hearty food with interesting herbs and different flavours.

1 comment:

SteffR said...

One thing I miss about NYC are the Polish and East European cafes. Books sound good, I hope to watch Agent Carter at some point. :-)