Monday 1 February 2016

Shifty Eye

Just got back from the eye clinic, as my optician spotted that I have a shifty right eye. This is a harmless but annoying condition called nystagmus. 
I had never heard of this but it affects about 0.2% of people. Mine is mild and in one eye only. It means that the eye flickers. Mine flickers horizontally, which is common in congenital nystagmus, which you are born with. There is a slight glitch in the communication of the eye and the brain. It is often associated with being bad at sport, a bad driver, clumsyness, vertigo, travel sickness and many other things I have experienced. 
Some people have very bad nystagmus, where it seriously affects their vision and other people can see their eyes constantly moving. Nystagmus is also affected by tiredness and stress and I have noticed that I see worse if I don't feel good. 
Quite interesting to have this unusual but unthreatening condition!

2 comments:

Leen said...

Does it get better Lal?
NB but you are a GOOD driver!

Elinor Vickers said...

It stays the same, but is not a problem. If I was a better driver I would not have four massive dents in my car. I can't reverse, somehow. I am ok going forwards.