Thursday 10 March 2016

Baking with Veg

My latest cookery project is with the famous/infamous book Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache by Harry Eastwood, a book of fatless cakes. Instead of butter, the recipes use grated vegetables. I was highly sceptical at first, but they actually work. I don't know how this works in terms of food science as a substitution, god knows. You can also use rice flour so they are gluten free if you need to. I am mainly pursuing this because I love baking, but am trying eat healthily. The cakes are dampish and a light sponge, rather than high and buttery.
So far I have tried the banana cake (with grated courgette) and the ginger cake (with grated butternut squash). My next experiment might be the chocolate cake (beetroot). 
Other vegetables used include aubergine, carrot, parsnip, potato (think of potato scones) pumpkin, swede and sweet potato, even turnip!
I think this book may be a work of deranged genius.

2 comments:

Leen said...

Hey Lal can you give me the recipe for ginger/butternut squash?
Will phone Wed!
Love..Leen

Elinor Vickers said...

Emailed it. Today's healthy cake is chocolate and beetroot. Does taste quite a lot of beetroot but that's ok.