Sunday 15 May 2016

Core Wardrobe

As people seem to enjoy the fashion based blog entries I thought I would write about the idea of a core style and wardrobe, which I find is useful when shopping.
Perhaps readers could share their must have items or style evolution....

I find my style has changed over time, as I grow older, my lifestyle changes and my body and style alter. As a teenager I was cripplingly shy and wore the uniform of jeans, jersey tops, jumpers or sweatshirts and trainers. I still like jersey tops. In art college I went crazy for goth things, fake fur, tartan and velvet and I still love all these. Recently, I have been in more of a vintage and retro phase, moving from the 60s to the 50s ( more flattering on my body type) and more recently the 40s (inspired by the fantastic fashions in TV series Agent Carter). I have always loved fashion history, old films and tv and it tends to inform how I look at things in shops 'Look..the 70s are back...' My 60s look was very much inspired by Emma Peel's wardrobe in the tv series The Avengers, for instance. 

My core wardrobe these days consists of either plain colours or big prints and fairly simple shapes. I have given up wearing trousers, even jeans, and favour a below the knee skirt, teamed with tshirt and cardi. The tshirt may express my geeky tendencies with superhero or horror motifs. The skirt may be homemade and will probably be a fairly boxy a line which suits my body shape. I wear this with black tights and comfy mary jane shoes because of my foot problem. I love an outrageous fabric in a coat, be it tweed, leopard pattern or brocade, again in a fairly classic shape. Going out, jersey dresses are comfortable and not too formal and I like to sew these myself. Or for formal something very retro in a glamourous fabric teamed with some wacky footwear. Team this with a classic handbag with a fifties flavour and I am ready to go.

What do you like to wear, readers?

2 comments:

Maria said...

Ooh, fun! I have about a quarter of my wardrobe devoted to cardigans. I tend to default to solid colors, which I've been attempting to actively rebel against over the past couple of years. Prefer dresses and skirts as opposed to pants (trousers, get your mind out of the gutter) any day. Black and bright colors feature heavily. I don't like collars too close to my neck, so most of my tops are v-necks or generally low cut. In the end, I make decisions about clothes based on the question, "would 8-year-old Maria think this was cool?" Of course, that has led to Tim calling some of them "children's TV presenter" outfits. As a teenager I had a very boring, very preppy, fade into the background wardrobe. I outgrew that phase.

Elinor Vickers said...

I love your style! I think we have some things in common here. Like you, I think clothes should be fun, I have an inner fantasy of how I want to look.