Thursday 2 June 2016

Reading Project

My reading project goes on.
Latest Romans reading is the Shire book of Romano British mosaics. I love mosaics and went to see them in the British Museum as well as seeing the famous Lod mosaic in Venice. It was on a travelling tour as it was in the way of a major road development where it was discovered. 
I love the geometric patterns, animals and naive figures on the mosaics. 
Recommend looking up the Aldborough Wolf which is grinning cheesily over Romulus and Remus, also a very bow legged British Venus and two gangly nude mythological heroes.
I may have to find a book with nice colour illustrations though as this one is black and white only which does not capture the glory of the art.

For the Americans I am really enjoying the very informative, insightful and atmospheric In America Travels with Steinbeck by Geert Mak. The author retraces an epic journey by John Steinbeck. I am embarassed to say I have never read any Steinbeck, the author seems to like Cannery Row best. Any recommendations, readers?

No comments: