Thursday 28 July 2016

Reading, Projects...

A request was received for a reading project update.

My Romans reading: I am currently really enjoying the Imperium series of novels by Robert Harris. They are based on the life of Cicero, the Roman politician, lawyer and writer. As well as being interesting, lively and well written, they give you a real feel for his contemporaries: the unscrupulous Julius Caesar, the plutocrat Crassus and the warlord Pompey. Great fun. 

America: I have finished the excellent Book on the Southern USA by Paul Theroux. It is impossible to read this book and not get angry. Not the Gone with the Wind South, the subsistence farming, racist, violent, gun owning, religious South. An eye opener and a call to action to help these people. 
I have also read Cannery Row by John Steinbeck which I quite enjoyed. Beautiful writing and great characters but didn't really draw me in somehow. It reminded me that I read The Pearl in school and didn't enjoy it.

New Project: following on from my Stone Circles exhibition at work last year, next year I am on to Pictish Stones. After that, the Celts, maybe. Today I went to Aberdeenshire Council HQ to see the famous Rhynie Man carving displayed in their foyer and pick up some leaflets. Planning lots of reading, roadtrips and art projects around this too. More to follow.

No comments: