Saturday 20 August 2016

Search for the Stone


On Thursday I went on a fantastic trip up far, far north with my friends and colleagues Anna And Jane. Part of the plan was to visit Cawdor Castle, but for me the main objective was Pictish stones. It was a long journey through miles of forests flanking the road north. 
First, we stopped off at Sueno's Stone near Forres. This is an enormous six metre high monolith, which seethes with battling figures and celtic knotwork. It is sensational. The stone may depict a huge battle between the Picts and invading Vikings about a thousand years ago. 
A few miles on is Rodney's Stone, on the drive to Brodie Castle. I have painted it here. Easily overlooked as it is only about four feet high, but with fascinating monsters, symbols and an intricate cross on the back. The otherwordlyness of it draws you in and grips you. I wanted to look longer, I could have examined and drawn it for hours. Luckily I have a dust mask fitting for work at Brodie in a few weeks, so I can return.


1 comment:

Leen said...

That is really fascinating Lal!! Ive not seen anything quite like that.