Saturday 3 September 2016

5k Hooray

The day dawned coolish and slightly sunny today for our 5k run. Perfect conditions. Hazlehead park was lovely and sunny, lots of people dressed as superheroes which was the theme of the run. I wore my Harley Quinn tshirt and Alistair wore Batman. 
After an incomprehensible warmup, a meetup with our friend Melody, we were off.
The first 1k was a long agony of tussocky grass followed by a steep hill. I was in agony and felt I could not do this, I was not ready. Also I worked a nine long day on my feet yesterday so was tired. Alistair urged me on and after that it flattened put and we headed off into beautiful, peaceful woodland. Well, peaceful apart from a mass of panting, gasping people in dayglo sportswear. We were passed by two lovely horses and a french bulldog running alongside. 
I was feeling better now and moving gently along, enjoying the trees and flowers and fungi on stumps as we passed. There was a cool breeze which felt great.
By now I was keeping running continuously, I had got in a flow and moved beyond pain and gloom. 
I was also given a jellybaby, which helped.
At last we could see the finish, the sun shone and we completed in 42 minutes. My last was 38 minutes but that was five years ago. Mostly I was happy that my foot had held up and I had stuck in there and got to the end. At the end of the race I was given a banana by a small girl dressed as She Ra. 
I'm going to keep running, try and do 5k without walking and at a slightly faster pace.
I could not have done it without Alistair's support and kind words as I struggled along and he bounded ahead. Always with me, encouraging me.

2 comments:

SteffR said...

Congrats Elinor! Your have come a long way in a short time, inspirational! And should I ever be posessed to run a 5k I now know the secret of success - a jelly baby!! ;-) xo

Leen said...

Fantastic Lal!!!