Sunday 6 November 2016

London Water

One of the things I was totally unprepared for when I moved to London was the water. Why were the kitchen and bathroom covered in white blobs and gritty deposits? Why did the tea taste terrible? Why was my hair lank and dull?
It's the water. In Scotland, our water is soft, that is there are very few minerals in it. Soap foams easily. In London the water is thick with minerals, which is healthy, but irritating. Nothing foams. I always assumed water was water....
Anyway, if you find yourself in London or anywhere with hard water...
For tea, a kettle with a filter works wonders if you do not want to filter all your water in a jug or invest in a water softening unit plumbed into your kitchen. 
For hair, use lots of a vigorously cleansing shampoo; I like Aussie Mega shampoo, and a moisturising hair product; I have Bumble and Bumble Invisible Oil primer. 
For the bath I like dead sea salts which seem to soften the water and nothing will foam anyway.
For the cleaning, I am still experimenting and scrubbling scurf out of the bath.

No comments: