Saturday 31 December 2016

2017 Approaches

So, another year. I think we are all viewing this one with some fear given the twin horrors of Trump and Brexit. But life must go on, so here is my annual review of 2016 and plans for 2017.
The big thing was obviously moving to London for Alistair's work. This has been all of stressful, exciting, challenging, disturbing and fun. I am doing a lot of new things and exploring new places. In 2017 I plan to see all the museums in London, to have a good understanding of its geography and to roll with the newness and uncertainty of this adventure. And to grow fruit and veg on my balcony.
I am supposedly on a sabbatical from the castle but this is all very undecided. I am trying out work in a library archive and in education as I think collections care and curatorial work is dead in the current world. I do not want to be a dinosaur and must keep developing.
This year my reading project America was somewhat eclipsed by reading about London. Next year in a homage to multiculturalism, postcolonialism and for my volunteer project at Kenwood House on black history I will be reading about Africa.
I would also like to try and understand and appreciate more about modern art and have started by reading Grayson Perry's brilliant book Playing to the Gallery.
Healthwise I am recovered enough to have run a 5k and am doing some yoga. I walk all the time now I don't have my car.
In terms of politics what can I say other than rolling on the ground crying. I have met lots of very political people in London. I left the Labour Party as I disapprove of Jeremy Corbyn and am proud to be a liberal elite.
I think the next year will be a challenging one in many ways but hope to learn from all that it brings.

1 comment:

SteffR said...

Bring on 2017 I say, it can't get much worse surely! Lovely meeting up, hope to see you again soon! xo