Friday 23 February 2018

Italian Cookery Project 2

Since the last time I posted I have made the following from my cookbook Gastronomy of Italy:

Lamb and Potato Stew
Vegetable Risotto
Saffron Risotto
Spinach and Ricotta Gnocchi

The stew was hearty and delicious, a bit like a hotpot. It also has onion, mushrooms and tomato paste in. A great recipe for cold weather! 
The veg risotto had tomato puree, peas, courgette and carrot. It was a bit basic but tasty and healthy. You have to chop the carrot very small so it cooks at the same time as softer veg like the courgette. Risotto is a staple recipe for me and I like to make lots of variants. 
The saffron risotto is a bit more exotic with an interesting slightly bitter herbal flavour and lovely golden colour from the saffron. 
The spinach and ricotta gnocchi were very spinachy and an extremely lurid green! I served them with a tomato sauce. I have a strange love of spinach which I believe is super healthy. 

I have one more gnocchi recipe to try using semolina, and a variety of other recipes from spicy prawns to pork stews and cheesy pasta. It's a great cookbook, the recipes are varied, achievable and tasty. I gravitate to stews or quick cooking things as we are often busy.

No comments: