Monday 12 February 2018

Sustainable Fashion

This year, as last year, I am trying to avoid buying clothes from the high street. Fast fashion is destroying our environment and creating a mountain of cheap, unwanted, poor quality clothes. Also it is a great money saving measure and an interesting challenge. I have cleared out my wardrobe and will be wearing more of my deep stored and vintage items.
Instead I am making or buying clothes second hand.

The score so far this year includes a turquoise cashmere cardi and a tweed jacket from the Clan shop in Ballater and two exercise tops from Cancer Research Rosemount. Total cost £26.
I am currently sewing a 1950s denim skirt with giant pockets, but my big sewing project is a dress for my brother in laws wedding in November.

Things not included are: underwear and nightwear (bit icky second hand) t-shirts (usually wrecked by the time they are passed on) shoes (ditto) and an allowance for a couple of high quality investment buys.

Do you buy second hand or vintage? Or does it horrify you? Are you addicted to fast fashion or an organised shopper? Did you resist the sales?



No comments: